When you are stuck at home with the children and the weather outside does not permit any outside play (like it is very often where we live!), the easiest thing to keep them busy is to make cupcakes/fairy cakes with them. My children just love baking and no matter how many we make – they’re never enough.
It is versatile and can be enjoyed by both children and adults simply by using your imagination and using different icings and toppings. Since it cooks in a very short time, this is one recipe that you can make in minutes. The ingredients are also such that are easily available and almost always in the food cupboard. So whenever you feel the need for a little bit of sweetness, go ahead and try these easy to make cupcakes.
4 oz flour
4 oz caster sugar
4 oz butter
1 tsp baking powder (if you are using self raising flour then you do not require this)
1. In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Make sure that the sugar has completely blended with the butter. It is easier if the butter is kept out of the refrigerator prior to beginning cooking so that it is slightly melted.
2. Mix in the flour and the baking powder.
3. Beat the eggs and add them a little at a time all the while folding in the batter.
4. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees.
5. In a cupcake baking tray, line with cupcake cases and spoon the mixture into the cases. This mixture is for about a dozen.
6. Bake in the oven for about 20 – 30 minutes. Check and remove when a fork comes out freely without any mixture sticking to it.
Let your cupcakes cool and then decorate them as you like.
1. Use icing sugar to make a paste with water and add to the top of the cooled cakes. Before the icing hardens add sprinkles or silver edible balls or marshmallows which are readily available in the supermarkets.
2. For a buttercream icing beat together 5oz of butter, 10 oz of icing sugar, 1-2 tablespoons milk and food colouring (if required). Add to the top of the cake. You can use it to make swirls, letters, shapes.